Small Designs Mag

Small Designs Mag

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A peak inside the Universe – Dark Matter Jewelry – interview with Rana Levy

Who would’ve known that physics  and art have someting in common? „A galaxy is both beautiful and fun to look at but it is also on average 100,000 light years across. Meaning? It would take you 100,000 years to cross from one end to the other if you could travel at the speed of light” (Rana Levy). Knowing this interesting and important detail, Rana Levy brings you the Universe at your finger. Rana’s specialty isn’t art, but physics and mathematics. She is major in Washington state. But she brings the knowledges in these subjects into art, by creating designs for jewelry for people to wear.

 The jewelry he makes will mostly try and capture the beauty that is from the scientific realm, but I also try and include facts and information about what it is you are purchasing. Rana’s goal is to make beautiful items that also have something interesting about them, and to spread knowledge on some well known and some not-so well known ideas in science and physics.

Where did you get the idea for your business and when did you get started?

I started on November 24th, 2013. It has been a short 3 months but I am glad that I started and I love selling on Etsy. I decided one day I wanted a pair of earrings that looked similar to plug earrings I see, but I couldn't dedicate myself to actually stretching my ear size, so I decided to make earring studs that were pretty to look at and also similar to gauged earrings.The inspiration comes from my studies in physics and mathematics and I am constantly finding out new things in my science studies to be inspired by. Its a lot of fun.

How did you come up with your brand name?

I had several names conjured up regarding the shop but I thought the coolest one was Dark Matter Jewelry, inspired by the theoretical matter that has not yet been detected in physics. I think the name sounded elusive and attractive and mysterious.

How did you start this passion for jewelry?

Ive always dabbled in making items and art in general. Jewelry came more naturally as I have certain styles that I like and it felt very easy to come up with ideas, hence why I have so much variety in my shop. I think jewelry is a nice way to represent a person and what they stand for.

What does it take to make one jewel?
My process begins with custom made mixed pigments that I spend hours experimenting with. It takes a lot of time to get the colors right or get the shades I prefer. I then make my designs on glass which I then consider what it would look best on (earrings? Rings? A necklace?). Sometimes I make sets where I have a particular design on different items as a group, but everything in my shop can be made custom for a particular liking. I like to let my customers choose what type of metal finishes they like, or what style of glass they want the design on.

Which one is your best seller?

Currently Sunset, Constellation and Singularity always sell well. I think people like the Sunset design because its pretty close to a real sunset, as Constellation really does look like the night sky. Singularity is just so fun and funky looking, I think people like the dichroic flakes and fun glitter.

How do people get in touch with you?

People can contact me anytime on Etsy via the messaging system. A message will come up on the front of my phone and also get sent to my email as well as sending me a text ( I always make sure to answer quickly). I sell primarily on Etsy but I have sold on Ebay before and I do promote on Pinterest, Wanelo, and Facebook. However all monetary transactions are done through Etsy officially :)

Do you run your business full-time?

Definitely. As a physics and mathematics major in my senior year at university, this is my primary job and source of income. Its so much more than working anywhere else (besides maybe a physics lab!).

Are you participating or managing any other project you would like to talk about?

The only other thing I have going is I have an Etsy promotion team with a friend of mine. We have members post products and items from their shops and we all like to help each other out. Etsy teams are a great way of getting noticed in a busy online market place.

I see a lot of people starting their business online. What do you think makes you stand out from the crowd?
I think being inspired by something naturally makes what you create stand out. I think if I had chosen something else to be inspired by, maybe I would not have put 100% effort into making lovely items. My designs are inspired, of course, from loads of places, but I think my passion for physics is what makes it really stand out.

 Is there anything else you would like to tell me about yourself?
I started recently doing olympic weightlifting and occasionally compete and adore cats :)



0 comentarii:

Post a Comment