Small Designs Mag

Small Designs Mag

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

One-of-a-kind Gems plus Leather

Anna Master brings you great designed jewels made out of leather and gems. The artist seems to be inspired by the ancient designs. See how she made a business through her hobby and passion for jewels.

Who is the person behind Gems plus Leather?
I'm known as Anna Master and you are welcome to visit me at www.facebook.com/anna.master.102#
I was born in Estonia but now I live in Prague. Before moving here I spent several years in Cyprus, and just here in Prague I've realized how much I’ve missed the seasonal changes. Autumn with its' golden, red and orange colors, black-n-white winter with snow and now I'm waiting for spring with its' fresh green, yellow and blue sky! There were only 2 seasons in Cyprus: green-winter and grey-summer. Autumn and spring were so short that they were passing by unnoticed...

Where did you get the idea for your business and when did you get started?
Pretty soon upon arrival to Cyprus in 2007 I've discovered that it's a boring place and I need to entertain myself. Browsing the internet I've found some beautiful pictures of the beaded artworks. I've asked myself if I could become as good as those artists and decided to give it a try. Well, I can't stop ever since! In 2012 internet brought me another idea and I started tooling leather. These two directions became my favorites, I even combine them sometimes. Leather, beads and gemstones look so great together!


How did you come up with your brand name?
Actually my brand name is Gemsforall. It was created in 2008 when my website gemsforall.com was born. I was in love with gems and wanted to share my passion with everyone. I've opened my shop on Etsy much later, in November 2012 and by that time I already had 2 passions, both gems and leather. So I couldn't keep the old name for my shop and many people already knew the name Gemsforall. That's why the shop's got the different name.

How did you start this passion?
I began with trees. Visiting my friend I've seen her making something pretty strange and ugly. I've asked her what it was and she told me it's gonna be a tree. She had explained me how she makes it and I've decided to try it myself because I wanted to understand if I can do it at all. Maybe I've got no talent (just like her), maybe it's too difficult and I should try something else instead... I've created several trees and understood that it's too easy and not as interesting as inventing something myself. At least I understood I can make stuff and should try making something "of my own". So, I've started my experiments and "invented my own techniques". I didn't bother to look for tutorials any more, I was "creating"... It felt great! I remember I was very proud once I've "invented" the peyote stitch... It sounds quite funny now, but back then it was serious to me.


What does it take to make one product?
Well, it depends on a product. If we're talking about some primitive thread with gemstones - it takes about 10 minutes. I know I could make much more money creating tons of this stuff within the time I spend on one of my creations but it's too boring for me. I prefer making one of a kind "wow!" things, it's not so profitable, but at least I make what I enjoy. I spend 1-2 weeks on most of my creations and each item I create is my favorite one until I finish it and start making something new.

Usually, I don't prepare any patterns/designs - my hands know what to do, they work simultaneously with my mind, that's why I can never copy-paste my own creation. Also I'm never sure what the result is going to be, unless it's a custom order. Sometimes I see my new ideas in a dream. Then, I need to wake up and draw a quick sketch, otherwise the idea will be lost. I've been through it several times waking up in the morning with the sad thought "I had such a good idea last night but what was it?!"


Which one is your best seller?
My best seller is the pattern for the rose I've created while I was making the rose for one of my projects. I didn't expect it to be that successful, however it forced me to create more tutorials (which I never made before).

How do people get in touch with you? Where do you sell? Do you have a site or blog?
My main online shop is on Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/Gemsplusleather

Also I've got my pages www.gemsforall.com and www.facebook.com/Gemsforall.

Recently I've opened one more online shop at Storenvy: gemsplusleather.storenvy.com - can't say anything about it yet, since it's too new and I didn't have time to list all my stuff yet.

My Craftsy shop is for the beading tutorials and patterns only: www.craftsy.com/user/2367667/pattern-store?_ct=fhevybu-ikrdql-fqjjuhdijehu


I love working with beads, gemstones, fur, leather, wire, cabochons but I'm also open to anything new. If I see something interesting I'd like to try - 99,9% I'm gonna give it a try. So, I always learn something new and improve existing skills. My art will tell you much more than any words could...


My art is for the people who appreciate handmade designs and like "out of the box" solutions. Everyone who is interested to step out the crowd and be visible. My designs have got personality, so if you feel item's personality matches yours - come and get it!

0 comentarii:

Post a Comment